I hope you had a fun Super Bowl Weekend. I am normally not the biggest football fan, but what an exciting game! Just a few reminders and updates…
- This Wednesday is an early dismissal day for teacher professional development.
- There is no school on February 20th and 21st (Presidents’ Day and our mini February break)
- Please see below for Valentine’s Day assignment and information.
- Please keep your children reading and practicing their facts!
In writing workshop we have been developing and writing many different claims. So we thought for Valentine’s Day, the students could write a strong (positive) claim about one ‘secret’ friend in class and use an example to support their claim. Today, each student randomly chose a name of another student in our class to write a compliment claim about. Please see this week’s homework packet for more details.
- Please have your child complete the ‘secret’ that claim that describes their friend. They should also provide at least one strong example or reason to support what they wrote.
- Students may also draw or paste pictures (from magazines etc…) that they feel would support their claim about their friend. (*this is optional)
- Students will glue their claim on to card and decorate it for their ‘secret’ friend.
If your child would like to send in personal Valentines (in addition to the ‘Secret’ Valentine claim) on Tuesday, February 14th they may do so. Please be sure to include everyone in our class. We have 19 students and I sent home a class list in this week’s homework packet.
Also, in the past Mr. Larson has encouraged the BURR community to consider non-food alternatives when sending in Valentines. “As always, we would ask you to consider non-food options. Perhaps consider having your child include a personalized phrase to the recipient. Hearing from a friend that: "You are really good at math," or "You are a kind friend," or "You are really funny," will produce good feelings that last longer than a lollipop.”