Hi Third Grade Families,
Here’s a few of the great things that have been going on at school recently:
- Morning Meeting- Our morning class time together has been going really well. We continue to start each day by checking in, getting the classroom ready, and completing our daily responsibilities. Our morning meeting is an opportunity for us to review the daily schedule, preview any special changes or events for the week, share and prepare for the day.
- Science and Social Studies time- We have completed our first Project Lead the Way science unit. It was hugely popular with the students. (Check out some pictures of our final projects on our classroom blog.)
- In Social Studies, we have been studying the history of civil rights in the United States. Students have been having deep discussions about Dr. Martin Luther King, Rosa Parks and Ruby Bridges.
- The students have also been celebrating friendship in our class. We have been talking about the positive traits that each one of us has. This has been leading up to our ‘Secret Valentine’ exchange that we will be having on Valentine’s Day. (Information was sent home last week. Please have your child complete the claim about their ‘Secret Valentine’ and bring it in to school by Friday.)
- Writing workshop- Over the last few weeks, our third graders have been learning how to develop their opinions and create thoughtful and strong, persuasive writing pieces.
- Early on, I encouraged each of the students to think of an idea, topic or problem that has personal significance and meaning to them so that they can write with strength and sincerity. Throughout our class discussions, there was a great deal of focus put on our school community and our town community. The students brainstormed ideas that would help make our local communities better, stronger, healthier, and happier. To say that the students’ ideas have been great, is an understatement. Thoughtful, exciting and compassionate are words that come to mind. I have been humbled by their enthusiasm and drive with this writing project. *Ask your child what they are writing about to improve our school or local community.
- Recess- The temperatures are pretty cold and our kids continue to go outside for recess, so please be sure your child comes to school with appropriate outdoor clothing for this time of year.
Thursday, Feb 8th – Happy Birthday, Mrs. Thompson! Community Meeting BOE meeting about district restructuring 7:00 MS Auditorium
Friday, Feb 9th - 100th Day of School, Hat Day for Haddam Food Bank, Class ‘Secret Valentine’ claim due
Tuesday, Feb 13th – Happy Birthday, Charlotte!
Wednesday, Feb 14th – Valentine’s Day: Celebration of Friendship
Monday, Feb 19th – Happy Birthday, Adalyn! Presidents Day Recess
Tuesday, Feb 20th - Presidents Day Recess
Wednesday, Feb 21st - Community Meeting BOE meeting about district restructuring 6:00 HS Auditorium
Tuesday, Feb 27th - Talent Show tryouts (after school)
Wednesday, Feb 28th - Talent Show tryouts (after school)